Student Funding Applications
Classis Holland places a high value on caring for seminary students pursuing ordination in the CRCNA
- A student seeking funding from Classis Holland must be seeking ordination to the office of Minister of the Word or to the office of Ministry Associate within the Christian Reformed Church in North America.
- A student seeking funding from Classis Holland must be a member of a local church of Classis Holland.
A student seeking funding from Classis Holland may be enrolled in a seminary other than Calvin Theological Seminary as long as he or she has expressed a written intention to serve in the ordained ministry of the CRCNA (as a Minister of the Word or a Ministry Associate).
A Calvin Theological Seminary student seeking funding from Classis Holland must be enrolled in one of the following degree programs at Calvin Theological Seminary (CTS):
- Master of Divinity
- Master of Arts (but only if student is also seeking ordination to the office of Ministry Associate)
- Missions-New Church Development
- Educational Ministries
Note: Students in the Master of Theological Studies program are not eligible for aid as this program does not lead to ordained ministry in the CRCNA.
Full time students in seminary (10 credits per quarter or more) are eligible for funding from Classis Holland. Part time students should ordinarily be taking at least two classes (6 credits) per quarter in order to be eligible for funding from Classis Holland.
Aid will be determined on a case by case basis – proportionate to need and to credit hours if less than full time. In other words, a student taking fewer than 6 credits per quarter may still be eligible for funding if the Leadership Development Team determines funding would be appropriate for this student.
An undergraduate student may seek funding (up to $1000 per year) from Classis Holland if:
- He or she has expressed a written intention to serve in the ordained ministry of the CRCNA (as a Minister of the Word or a Ministry Associate).
- He or she is in their third or fourth years of undergraduate study.
A minister in the CRCNA seeking funding from Classis Holland for continuing education (education after a seminary degree has already been attained) is eligible for aid only if that education is leading to a Master of Divinity. In other words, ordained Ministry Associates wishing to attain their Master of Divinity in order to become Ministers of the Word are eligible for aid. All other continuing education is the responsibility of the local church.
Each new student applicant will participate in an entrance interview in the spring and a renewal interview each subsequent spring while receiving aid.
Seminary students are eligible to receive aid beneath the scholarship limit established by Classis.
A student’s eligibility for aid is based on his or her financial situation. Student aid from Classis Holland will not fund past debt.
Students receiving aid from Classis Holland can count on the following connections from The Leadership Development Team:
- Each fall, students will receive a letter of encouragement, a review of expectations, and a calendar of the communication they can expect to receive.
- Every effort will be made to have recipients at meetings of Classis Holland.
- Every effort will be made to invite students to retreats and events of Classis Holland.
Every student studying for the ministry of the Gospel who is supported by Classis Holland will be required to sign an agreement document with the stipulations as outlined below. This information will be stated in the application and the student will be asked to sign that he/she understands and agrees to comply with them in all respects.
- Promptly submit to the Leadership Development Team of Classis Holland a notice of his admission to the institution to which he/she has applied, and of payment of tuition.
- Indicate at registration the Classis from which the student is receiving support and instruct the registrar to send periodic reports of academic standing to the Student Fund Committee.
- Not discontinue studies for any period of time without notification of same to the Student Fund Committee and Classis Holland.
- Stand ready at any time to explain any irregularities concerning which the Classis or its Student Fund Committee may wish to question you.
- Notify Classis and the Student Fund Committee if at any time during the student’s studies he/she should question or depart from the faith of the supporting church.
- Promptly make arrangements with the Classis or the Student Fund Committee for the reimbursement of all funds advanced to the student, if and when Classis should notify the student of irregularities in his/her faith or conduct, or because of inability.
These guidelines will be used by the Leadership Development Team in determining both eligibility for aid and level of funding. Funded students in good standing are eligible to and required to reapply each year, including submitting updated personal and financial information.